Thursday, October 1, 2009

Scones



I've always wanted to make scones and have just never gotten around to trying to make them. From what I hear, they're fairly easy to make. So my mission today is to go out and buy a pastry blender so I can try this recipe out ...

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 5 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
Makes 8
I've got some dried cranberries that I want to mix into the dough and one woman posted this helpful tidbit ... To avoid dough being too wet, crack the egg in the measuring cup first, then measure to one cup milk over the egg.

Oh! And don't forget the egg wash for the tops and to sprinkle them with sugar!

***ASK FOR SECONDS***
So I tried the recipe tonight and they turned out so yummy! I just wish that I had put more of the cranberries in the mix.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever made "mormon scones". You dont need a pastry blender, and they are much softer than normal scones. They are called mormon scones because of their texture, traditional recipes are dry because scones were meant to be dipped in coffee or tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! That sounds good! How does the recipe differ?

    ReplyDelete