Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pumpkin Bread

I made bread for the first time!  I know it's only a quick bread and eventually I'll get to making a loaf of sourdough or something yummy like that, but it's bread nonetheless and it's delicious!

From the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 55 minutes
Oven: 350 degrees F
Makes: 2 loaves (32 servings)


Ingredients:
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup cooking oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
Directions:
  1. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans; set aside.  In a very large mixing bowl beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed.  Add eggs and beat well; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Alternately add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.  Beat in pumpkin.  Spoon batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.  Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans.  Cool completely on wire racks.  Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
Apparently I only have one bread loaf pan (and I discovered this when I went to roll out the scone dough--no rolling pin!) so I cut this recipe in half which actually worked out since there's just Rocky and me to eat it and I still had to test the recipe to make sure it was edible.

***ASK FOR SECONDS***
It made the kitchen smell so mouthwatering good!  And although I was super antsy to eat it as soon as it cooled on the racks, I resisted and waiting to slice some of it up this morning to try and for Rocky to take to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment