Thursday, March 18, 2010

Corned Beef Dinner

From the Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-11 hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5-quart
Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 potatoes, pared and quartered
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
  • 3-4-lb. corned beef brisket
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
  • dash of ground cloves
Directions:
  1. Layer onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, bay leaves, and cabbage in slow cooker.
  2. Place brisket on top.
  3. Add water.
  4. Cover. Cook on Low 10-11 hours.
  5. During last hour of cooking, combine brown sugar, mustard, and cloves. Spread over beef.
  6. Discard bay leaves. Slice meat and arrange on platter of vegetables.
One word: Delicious! I overfilled the slow cooker a little bit because I like red potatoes so much so I added about 1 1/2 cup extra water because I was afraid that the one cup wouldn't be enough to cook everything through. I also used 1/2 the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef brisket. If I make it again, I think that I will use less brown sugar. For us it seemed like there was too much to caramelize properly over the beef.

1 comment:

  1. Corned beef, huh? I'll have to give that a try. I don't usually like corned beef, but I like crock pots! =)

    ReplyDelete